Sunday, September 28, 2014

day 39 of 40 days of lettering and yet another competition...


I thought I was at the point where I had had enough of these competitions and I really do feel this way. I see little point in entering something where there is a very slim chance of winning, unless of course, you feel like you would be adding something cool to your portfolio. The winning part… not very likely and certainly not worth getting invested in. Soooo, with that in mind, I entered another tiger print comp, hahaha. Well, as you may know, I love Christmas and this contest having the focus on lettering, I thought I'd just do one submission. Besides, I could use it for the second to the last day of my 40 days of lettering thing. Yes, I think I'm just continuing to type on here to convince myself ;)

It was kind of an odd contest for them. They provided around 4 or 5 photographs that you were supposed to choose from and then add your lettering. I decided to take part of a lyric from White Christmas (yeah, I am a Christmas music freak, too). I tweaked the background image, making it bluer and giving it a bit more tone for the white lettering to drop out of. I kept adding more little swashes and flourishes until it looked done. I'm pretty sure they will go for a more calligraphic treatment, but it was a nice exercise, nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. Jill, I really love your entry! I think the tweaks you made to the background image are spot on - it really lends to the "glisten" idea! And the accumulated snow at the bottom corners was a nice touch. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Emily! The photo itself really needed something, so I gave it a shot, although I'm no photoshop expert, ha.

      Delete