Tuesday, June 25, 2013

MATS week 3... children's books!!


Ok, honestly, this was the week I was most looking forward to in Lilla's course and the dream area I would most love to eventually become part of and one of the main reasons why I signed up for the course. At the beginning of the week, we were asked to draw snails, snails and more snails. It was an interesting subject and I could see why she chose it in that you don't have to deal with hands or arms or legs... a real bonus. This made it easier in a short time frame, to concentrate on developing a character. We were then asked to develop some hand lettering with the title, "The Snail and the Rose Tree." Turns out, this is actually a lesser known Hans Christian Andersen tale and like many fairy tales, is actually quite dark. Naturally, I had been working on cheery little snails that somehow now seemed kinda inappropriate.


meet Leroy!! I still would like to do a story about him someday ;)
Sooo, I had to switch streams and make him grumpy looking. It is not my natural tendency to do anything other than "cute," so this presented a real challenge for me. After may hours of redrawing, I came up with the best grumpy I could do. My daughter Katie took one look at him and said, "CUTE!" Oh well, I am who I am! She did suggest I add the mustache which I thought was a nice touch and it was super fun to finally work on some hand lettering.

I must say, the work coming out of this class is absolutely amazing and humbling. If you have a moment check out the flickr group and be prepared to be wowed by the submissions! Take a look at my flickr favorites... it's worth a peek to see the incredible variety of wonderful work! http://www.flickr.com/photos/71597294@N00/favorites/

2 comments:

  1. First of all, your work is lovely. Your lettering divine! I hope you will offer something like this cover for sale. Maybe Etsy? I could stare at it for hours.
    Second, after discovering this post, I went back to read your archives. I see you are channeling Mary Blair, but in your own unique way. No wonder I was drawn to your artwork!
    Lastly, I think the snail is a big improvement. He has more depth now. I can see this character growing with your story (and his moustache IS cute :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Joanne, that is just the nicest compliment I have ever received!! Thank you so much!! I don't have an Etsy shop, but I do have some things on Society 6 that I will blog/share about at some point. Thanks for popping by!!

    ReplyDelete