Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Little Mermaid


Over at the Happy Happy Art Collective, we have been doing monthly group projects and June's topic was 80's movie posters! Fun idea but sooo many possibilities. I decided to stick with what I like to do best…something kid related and I am also a huge Disney fan, so I debated between Toy Story and the Little mermaid and the latter won! To mix things up, I decided I wanted to attempt to use gouache. Inspired by fellow happy happy art pal Lauren Minco, I gave it a shot, only to have even more new found respect for the craft! It's hard!! Finding the right ratio of water to paint was challenging, at least for me. I did separate elements, because I knew there was no way I had the ability to do it all as one painting, especially when I planned on adding the lettering on top. I did the lettering  my usual way… penciled out, then redrawn in illustrator. I'm glad I gave it a shot, but clearly, I have a long way to go with this paint stuff! 

Be sure to check out the other great movie posters over at happy happy!
I did a lot of different versions of Ariel that varied in terms of how old she appeared.
This was a younger looking version.
I didn't end up using the blue water background… too busy.




No comments:

Post a Comment