Thursday, March 13, 2014

40 days of lettering... day 32



Day 32 is a piece I did for an interview with Kory Kennedy, design director for Entertainment Weekly. You can read the full article here. Evidently, Kory is a big fan of illustration and type, so I couldn't pass up the chance to do something from the article.

I wanted to make a playful piece, and knew that FUN was the key word to play off of in the actual quote. I messed around with some sketches, when I noticed that the serif on the "U" might be able to be transformed into a foot or boot, giving its neighbor, the capital N, a little kick in the pants. That became my starting point. From there, I messed around with some "glyphy" descenders on "typography" until I came up with something I liked. Then came color. Usually, I have a vague idea in my head where I want to go with color and it ends up being my favorite part of making the final. In this case, I was all over the place! I tried all sorts of palettes and even went so far as the little pink number here. I'd like to say I went all the way to crazytown on this one. Sometimes, you have to go there and come back to get your sanity check. I think I was trying too hard to make it fun, and ended up with a circus on my hands! Anyway, I thought better of this color combo, and returned to a red/blue solution, that I thought was probably fun enough, although in looking at the crazytown version, I'd like to use these colors on something, at some point, like maybe something for a circus? ;) Did I make the right decision? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment