Wednesday, March 26, 2014

happy happy alphabet... time for the letter I!


If you've been following along, the wonderful artists of the happy happy art collective have all been working on a group alphabet project. We have a set palette, and each letter is being interpreted by 2 different artists. I was assigned the letter I. I didn't think much about it at the time, but it turns out that it's a pretty limited letter, word-wise! In fact, I'd rank it right up there with the letters X and Z. To make it more fun for myself, I've been writing little alliterative descriptions for each letter I do and with this one, I had to rely on some verbs, because the noun selection was pretty thin. You can read my little ditty here. Actually, I was going to do an inchworn pushing her ice cream eating infant on an island in front of an igloo, but when the super talented Emily Balsley did her letter I with an inchworm, I had to rethink. I think you'll agree, she did a fabulous job! Don't you just love those sneakers?


I've never been a huge fan of iguanas but, it was about the only animal/ character that I thought would be at least semi recognizable, so I went with it. Of course, despite the fact that it's a lizard, I had to try to make him cute! This piece evolved a lot from my initial little sketch. I really had to move elements around and play with scale to try to make it work. You can check out the progress of our alphabet so far right here in our happy gallery!

No comments:

Post a Comment