Sunday, October 6, 2013

took a little break from lettering


This past week, I decided to take a short break from my lettering project and work on something that I had on my to-do list. A while back, I had designed the piece below for a unicef holiday card contest. It did not make the cut, but I had since thought that I could do something more with it and possibly turn it into a pattern collection of sorts. I struggled with making the main pattern hold together, and there is perhaps more detail than what is practical to have in a bolt pattern. I added the flower pots to give it a grid and some visual stability to counter all the randomness of the windows. I generally like to come up with at least coordinates. I really liked the colors in the diamond pattern. Hopefully, all four look like they are meant to go together! 

And now...back to lettering ;)


4 comments:

  1. Super cute pattern and the coordinates go really well with the main pattern. It's very interesting how you went with a much stronger color palette for the coordinates. Yes, the do work well together and with that contrast of colors you're adding a special vibe to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Antonija! I don't usually go with tans and beiges, but the little characters were so busy, I thought they might look better with a neutral. Only problem with that is it started to look overall spotty without a strong color holding it all together. That's why I introduced the flower pots, to give it some sort of visual stability/organization? It's still pretty busy, tho but at least I stayed away from my typical pink and blue overuse. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete