Sunday, October 27, 2013

week 3 of Lilla Rogers Make Art that Sells...scrapbooking


Time is flying by and we are already at the halfway point in MATS. This week concentrated on the scrapbooking market. Our brief was to design a scrapbooking page (the kind you might see in the aisles at Michael's) with a vintage camera/typewriter theme. The mini assignment (given out at the beginning of the week) was to draw those two subjects. Now I would never consider myself to be any kind of a great technical drawer, so the thought of taking my pencil to represent typewriters, in particular, was a daunting task. There are a lot of people in the course that can literally draw or paint anything with great ease...I am not one of them. Nonetheless, I liked the subject, especially the cameras, so I gave it a go. The first thing I saw were faces amongst all the buttons, bulbs and lenses, so at that point, I had my direction...vintage robot cameras, sort of! It made the project more fun. We were also told to include some lettering, which I was very happy to use to fill out the page. I also introduced the idea of using CMYK colors and registration marks. I thought they might add a nice touch as a border treatment. I drew a lot of cameras, many of which didn't make the cut, but my favorite little guy, was a quick little doodle/afterthought...meet mr. instamatic! Maybe it's because instamatic cameras, while not the most interesting looking cameras of all time, were the kind I used as a kid until I tried to get all fancy with a 35mm in college. Remember the film cartridges? I made a little pattern of them up near the top of the page.

It was a fun week and once again, a real pleasure to see all the different translations of the brief by the talented members of the class. Next week is one that I have been looking forward to...editorial!

8 comments:

  1. i LOVE mr. Instamatic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! Lovely. So cute ... I really like it. Congratulations!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I love all the faces in the cameras, they're very very cute. The colours and the lettering are also fantastic
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cheerful and cute..It made me smile! Love the variety of lettering you used, and those cameras are adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah! So nice of you to say :)

      Delete