Thursday, January 16, 2014

40 days of lettering... day 27



Today's lettering piece was done for an interview with Lincoln Bjorkman, Global Chief Creative Officer, Wunderman. The interview can be read over at creative interviews. As quotes go, this was a really good one, with plenty of visuals that came to mind immediately. The king/queen wordage lent itself to a playing card theme. Kings in card decks, typically have a sword, so replacing that with a paintbrush was a natural fit. 

I am starting to appreciate illustrator's blob brush. So many artists I know really rave about it. I have never used it much... I always thought it was just a little too, well, blobby, lol. But, you can't beat it for easy smooth marks, making it pretty much the complete antithesis of the pen tool. I used it here in some of the detail work, as well as the hair lines. And believe me, at 3:00am when I was trying to finish this baby up, it was a trusted and valued friend. What I don't get (and should really take two seconds to research more) is why it seems to continually change point size as you go along...weird. 

The pic below shows a bit of how I work, sketch-wise. I don't do a lot of tracing over roughs and refining my work. Instead, I tend to make friends with my handy eraser, continually refining and adjusting in my handy sketchbook, until I think it's good enough for a final pencil (on right) that I use to scan and then draw over in illustrator. The queen could have used a bit more styling in her face, but she's upside down anyway, ha. Overall, I was happy with how it turned out for a one day project, anyway ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment