Wednesday, May 21, 2014

happy spring and Surtex thoughts :)


Each month over at Happy Happy Art Collective, we have a group project. This month was to make a spring pattern. With such a dreary April, I was really in the mood for some spring flowers and of course, felt the need to add some friendly insects to the mix. Head on over to happy happy, and see what the girls have done so far!

In other ramblings, I just got home from walking Surtex the last 2 days. I had never done this before and it was, to say the least, a virtual eye candy overload! You really have to walk it to believe it. There is such a variety, from independent artists, to design studios, to group collectives, to agencies, all under one roof. In retrospect, I wish I had looked at more binders, look books, etc. toget a better idea of how much art is needed to make it worth your while, but I didn't want to get in the way of any potential business. I really enjoyed seeing how different artists handled their booth design and set up. I could see myself really enjoying that aspect of exhibiting there.

And if that wasn't enough, the National Stationery Show is adjacent, which is even bigger! I really wasn't prepared for that. Soooo much to take in. There is everything from major players like American Greetings and Madison Park, to rows of small letterpress shops, Ecojot (major drool... and Carolyn was there and was so kind and friendly), Tattly, a few small toy companies, the list goes on and on. It was difficult as a newbie with little knowledge of the paper market, to decipher which companies actually solicit work from artists. Most were forthcoming in answering questions. 

The best part of the whole experience, was the opportunity to meet soooo many artists I have come to know online from all around the world, which was just wonderful. 5 out of 6 of us from Happy Happy got the chance to finally meet, which of course was a major highlight (we missed you Denise Holmes!!) Lauren Minco's And Tammie Bennett's booths were absolutely fabulous, not to mention the Dottie Wrens, Forest Foundry, Tracey Mattocks, Kim Moulder, Kathy Weller, Victoria Johnson, Cultivate Art Collective, and so many other wonderful MATS artists. All very inspiring and just great people to meet and talk to. If you've never gone, GO!! Will I ever do it myself or in a group? I really don't know at this point, but it was certainly food for thought. 

4 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks for the shout out Jill! It was so great meeting you, only wish we'd had more time to chat. Maybe next year our booths will be close enough to do so ;)
    And that spring pattern is all kinds of cute and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your booth, Tracy... those dogs were adorable! Wish there was more time to chat, too! and thanks per the pattern (maybe one of these days I'll actually figure out how to do repeats, lol)

      Delete
  2. Love that precious pattern Jill! you do repeats just fine! :) Thanks for the mention here on your blog. It was such a pleasure meeting you at Surtex!! Thank you for stopping by my booth! I kept asking people if you were there and looking for you! :) I definitely think that you must go for it next year! more on that later!! ;) Wishing I'd met Tracy. waaa. Did see her beautiful booth though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the kind words, Kim and also for stopping by! So glad I met you… you are quite an inspiration and your booth looked wonderful! Good luck on those followups ;)

      Delete